Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Self Control

Self control is not calling out to your sisters in the street
Because it’s uncouth
It is pretending you are full because it’s rude
To take a second slice
It is pacing instead of picking up the phone
To call an ex lover
And not running away when they’re nipping at your heels
For the sake of composure
Self control is holding back tears that might avalanche
Into solid fits
The biting of nails that substitute the hard spitting
Of unpleasantness
And a million other things we swap and bargain over
“I’ll give you a heart attack for staying even though it hurts”
“And some cancer if you’ll hold this guilt a little longer for me”
“Or a big gold star because you learned restraint”
“I’ll pin it on my heart disease; I’ll lay it by my sadness strong, all for you and self control”
“For you”

If self control is command over you, then why is it control?
If I am one person, then how can I control myself?
Self control is recruiting schizophrenia for a suicide mission
Hiring a hit man – and the target?
You

Self control is hiding feelings so when you really need them,
You won’t find a single one
Staying at the desk although your heart is swollen and your brain bust
Because it’s not knock-off yet
Self control is mistaking masochism for fortitude
And running some gauntlet
Of bruising illusion and sorry stray animals picked up for pity’s sake
And forgotten soon after
Self control is staying in a job you hate, and waking with a bruised brain every day
But staying because you don’t leave one job until you have another
Self control is forcing down coffee because there’s no time
For resting


Angela Sidoti © 2006

--- 20 October 2006 ---

No comments:

Post a Comment